I’m so happy I stumbled across this recipe from Divas Can Cook a few months ago. And yes, I’ve made this cake about 4 times since, because it’s just too good. One of the reasons why I love this cake so much is because the texture is perfect. It’s moist, fluffy, and soft. What more can you ask for in a cake!! Another reason why this cake is so perfect is because it’s actually orange, like a carrot Lol. It’s beautiful and people are naturally drawn to its beauty.
Carrot cake wouldn’t be carrot cake if it’s not dressed in the perfect cream cheese frosting. Please note that if you are making this cake as a 9 x 13 sheet cake, I recommend cutting the cream cheese frosting recipe in half. If you are making a 3 layer cake, then you will need the full recipe.
I have baked this cake as 3 layer cake and most recently in a 9 x 13 sheet pan and both times have turned out good. For this recipe I’m going to share instructions baking the cake in a 9 x 13, but if you’re looking for some height feel free to use three 9 -inch round pans, just reduce the baking time to 18 minutes instead of 25 minutes.
So because this recipe is so good, I haven’t changed much from the original recipe by Monique at Divas Can Cook. The only ingredients I’ve altered are the ground clove and cinnamon measurements. Ground clove isn’t my favorite so I’ve omitted it and increased the cinnamon. It comes together beautifully.
Let’s get started.
A FEW TIPS TO GET YOU STARTED:
- Grate your carrots before you start making your cake and use the full 2 1/2 cups of carrots, no cutting back.
- I grate 2 cups of carrots using the smallest slot on my grater and the remaining 1/2 cup using the large slot. It adds a little texture to your cake.
- As always, make sure the eggs and buttermilk are room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. If you are making a round layer cake, prepare 3 round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Fold in the carrots but don’t over mix. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture alternating with the buttermilk until well combined. Be sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter in your prepared pan and bake for 25-29 minutes. If making a round layer cake, bake for 18-22 minutes.
- When the timer goes off check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of your cake. If it comes out clean then your cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. If you’re using round cake pans, allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once your cake has cooled completely, frost the cake with cream cheese frosting.
- If making a 9 x 13 inch cake, I recommend cutting the cream cheese frosting recipe by half.
- If making a 3 layer cake, use the full cream cheese frosting recipe
- Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Keywords: Easy Carrot cake, cream cheese frosting