Okay so this recipe totally happened by accident. I was making spaghetti sauce with ground turkey and I had a little ground turkey left over. I didn’t want to waste it so I pulled out some of my favorite ingredients and made meatballs! When I say favorite ingredients it was based on what was in my refrigerator at the time, and spinach and feta seemed appropriate.
To be honest I was a little nervous about this recipe because turkey meatballs can be a little dry if cooked too long or worse, flavorless. Knowing that, I approached this recipe seasoning and flavor in mind.
To make these spinach feta turkey meatballs, you don’t need a lot of ingredients but I recommend ingredients and seasonings that are flavor packed. I used onion and garlic powder as well as salt and pepper. You guys know I love creole seasoning but I didn’t have any on hand , however it think a teaspoon would create a new level of flavor. My favorite ingredient in this recipe is Worcestershire sauce. It really helps with flavor and the tenderness of the meatballs.
Some tips to get you started
- Read the entire recipe before starting 🙂
- The amount of spinach you use really depends on preference, but I recommend 1-2 heaping handfuls of baby spinach. Once it has been rough chopped, you will have more than enough.
- As far as the feta cheese, use what you have or what you like. Remember flavor is important for ground turkey, so if you want to use a flavored feta cheese that’s perfectly fine.
- When browning the meatballs, try to brown the sides as well.
- When transferring the “meatball liquid” to the bowl with the cream of chicken, CAREFULLY pour or tilt your pan and use a turkey baster to get the juice out.
- Enjoy with your favorite side dishes. I served these over rice, with a side of cabbage and cornbread. Bomb!!
A flavorful and tender turkey meatball recipe, ready in less than an hour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 bunch spinach, rough chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 can cream chicken soup (10oz can)
Preparing the meatballs
- Set the oven to 350F
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil
- In large bowl combine the ground turkey, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, bread crumbs, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything together.
- Fold in the feta and rough chopped spinach.
- Place the meatballs in the hot skillet and brown on both sides, 5-7 minutes each side.
Bake the meatballs
- Once the meatballs are browned, not fully cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter to the pan then cover the meatballs with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cream of chicken soup in a small bowl.
- Once the meatballs are done take them out of the oven and carefully pour the liquid from the pan into the bowl of cream of chicken soup. If it’s easier to remove the meatballs from the pan and then pour the liquid into the bowl, you can do that.
- Whisk the cream of chicken mixture together until it’s smooth then pour it over the meatballs. Cover the meatballs with aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and serve over rice, mashed potatoes, pasta or on its own. Enjoy!
These meatballs are amazing over pasta and spaghetti sauce. If you want to make these for spaghetti I would not recommend the cream of chicken. Just cook for 25-30 minutes.
Keywords: Spinach meatballs