It’s that time of the year when many classic cocktails feature seasonal flavors like this Spiced Apple Old Fashioned. Much like the Brown Sugar Cinnamon Old Fashioned, this cocktail has warm tastes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and star anise. The ingredients stay true to the classic Old Fashioned recipe; aromatic bitters, a sweetener, bourbon, and orange zest.
What makes this cocktail taste like apple pie is the homemade spiced apple syrup and Allspice Dram. The syrup can be made in a couple of different ways. I made it using apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise. You could also use fresh apples, water, and brown sugar. The syrup adds a deep apple flavor which complements the caramel notes in the bourbon. It’s a winner, for sure!
What kind of Bourbon to use in an Old Fashioned?
Use your favorite. Anything between 81 to 90 proof is a good choice. Makers Mark, Coopers’ Craft, and Mitchers are three that I usually have on my bar.
What are aromatic bitters?
The most popular brand of Aromatic Bitters is the Angostura brand. Aromatic bitter flavors are spicy notes of cinnamon and berries with a strong clove taste. Bitters help bring balance to the old-fashioned by acting as the salt & pepper of the cocktail.
What is Allspice Dram?
Allspice Dram is a liqueur made with rum, clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg, with notes of pepper. It’s also knowns as Pimento Dram. St.Elizabeth Allspice Dram is one the more popular liqueurs and can be found in most liquor stores.
How to Make a Spiced Apple Old Fashioned
Add the spiced apple syrup, bitters, Allspice Dram, and bourbon to a mixing glass and stir together. Add the ice and stir until the glass is chilled and the cocktail has reached your desired dilution.
Add one large ice cube to an old-fashioned glass and pour the cocktail over the ice. Express an orange peel over the glass, garnish the orange peel and enjoy!
Spiced Apple Old Fashioned
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cocktail 1x
- Category: Cocktail
A delicious old-fashioned cocktail made using a spiced apple simple syrup and bourbon.
Spiced Apple Simple Syrup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 oz Spiced Apple simple syrup
- 3 dashes Aromatic bitters
- 1/4 oz Allspice Dram
- 1 and 1/2 oz Bourbon
- Orange peel
Spiced Apple Simple Syrup
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir to ensure that the sugar is dissolved then reduce the heat to low and let the liquid simmer on low until the syrup forms. This should take about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the syrup cool.
The Old Fashioned
- Add the spiced apple syrup, bitters, Allspice Dram, and bourbon to a mixing glass and stir together. Add the ice and stir until the glass is chilled and the cocktail has reached your desired dilution.
- Add one large ice cube to an old-fashioned glass and pour the cocktail over the ice. Express an orange peel over the glass, garnish the orange peel and enjoy!
Keywords: Spiced Apple Old Fashioned, Old Fashioned, Apple Spice cocktails