Delicious shrimp and grits made with smoked sausage, onions, garlic and served over creamy grits.
For the Shrimp
1 14 oz smoked sausage link/rope (I used Hillshire Farm)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 and 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Green onions or fresh parsley for garnish
For the grits
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups milk or half & half
1 cup grits
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt (optional)
For the shrimp
- Season the shrimp with the creole and paprika seasonings and set aside.
- Slice the sausage in small rounds and cook on medium heat, brown it on both sides in a large skillet. Once the sausage is nice and browned remove the sausage from the pan using a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the butter and let it melt. Add the onions to the skillet and saute until fragrant and tender, then add in the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook on both sides until pink but not cooked all the way through. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Pour in the broth and Worcestershire sauce to deglaze the skillet and let the liquid come to a boil. Stir in the heavy cream then add the sausage and shrimp back in. Reduce the heat to a simmer to thicken the sauce and continue to coat the sausage and shrimp. Add in the lemon juice and continue to cook for another 7 minutes then remove from the heat. Sprinkle in the green onions and parsley and serve over the grits.
For the grits
- Bring the milk and chicken broth to a brisk boil and slowly stir in the grits. Add the salt and reduce the heat to low then cover the pot.
- Cook the grits according to the directions on the package and stir occasionally, usually 20 minutes. The grits should be creamy and not too thick. Add cheese if desired.
Keywords: Shrimp and Grits Recipe