A crispy chicken sandwich slathered in honey, hoy sauce, and a little cayenne pepper and topped with coleslaw
- 1 –16 oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp back pepper
- Sandwich rolls
The chicken breast
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cooking oil for frying
The hot honey sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 +2 tbsp cup honey
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on tolerance)
- To make the coleslaw, add mayo, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, and black pepper to a bowl and whisk everything together. Stir in the coleslaw mix and refrigerate while making the chicken.
- Add the frying oil to a frying pan or cast-iron skillet and set the heat to medium-high.
- While the oil is heating, season the clean chicken with seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Massage the seasonings into the chicken and add more if you feel like you need more. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and let it sit while the oil heats up. Add your flour to a separate bowl or bag and set it aside. You can also season your flour with salt and pepper.
- When your oil is hot (test it by sprinkling a little flour in the oil and if it begins to fry, it’s ready) add the chicken to the flour and coat the chicken very well, then place your battered chicken in the hot oil to fry. Depending on how big or small your pan is, you may need to fry your chicken in batches to not overcrowd your pan. Cover the frying pan and let the chicken cook on both sides until done. If your chicken is browning too fast, turn the heat down. You should only have to flip the chicken once. When the chicken is done, drain them on a paper towel. Also, be sure to discard the buttermilk.
- While your chicken is frying, add the butter to a small pot and melt it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Remove it from the heat and add in the honey, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper then stir well until everything is smooth and combined. Keep the sauce warm on low heat.
- To coat your chicken, dip the chicken breast into the sauce and evenly coat it on both sides. Assemble your sandwich and top the chicken with a generous scoop of coleslaw.
Keywords: Fried chicken sandwich, hot honey chicken sandwich