For the holidays (and most days) I love a good refreshing drink made right in my kitchen and if your family is anything like my family, then keeping the holidays merry with a little boozy cheer is a good time! So because we are 2 days away from Thanksgiving, I guess it’s time to break out the liquor cabinet (21+ kiddos) and make one of my all time favorite drinks. Sangria, but with a twist! One of the things I love about sangria is how adaptable it is; you can literally turn a classic sangria recipe into a seasonal inspired drink with simply swapping out summer flavors for more warm flavors. For this Holiday Apple Cider Sangria I used a balance of warm and bright flavors to bring this drink together.
For the fruit, I kept it simple with oranges, limes, and apples but feel free to be creative and use what you have or what you thing would lend amazing flavor to the drink. The sweetness in sangria is a mix of peach schnapps and the apple cider. Now, I do not like my sangria too sweet but if you do, add additional sweeteners to satisfy your sweet tooth. Brown sugar, simple syrup, and cane sugars are great too.
What type of alcohol to use?
For the brandy, I used Paul Masson Apple Brandy. Other brands are Christian Bros, Captain Apple Jack, and of course good ole’ E&J. For the wine, I recommend something with a nice crisp finish such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and Riesling. If you like sweet wines I would go with Riesling.
How to make Holiday Apple Cider Sangria
Wash your fruit and slice the limes, oranges, and apples. Add the limes, oranges, and peach schnapps to a pitcher and muddle for about a minute. If you don’t have a muddler you can use a wooden spoon. If you are making this in a pitcher then a wooden spoon would be best.
Pour in the brandy and the bottle of wine and give it another good stir. Add the apples and pour in the apple cider and mix well. If you can find honey crisp apple cider in your area, use that one, it’s naturally sweet and adds a wonderful apple flavor.
If you are making this in advanced, chill the sangria in the refrigerator until ready to serve. When you are ready to serve, add in the the ice, frozen cranberries, and garnish with cinnamon sticks. Another delicious way to serve this drink is to top it off with fresh mint and ginger beer when serving. Enjoy guys!
A refreshing holiday drink made with apple brandy, white wine, and sweet apples.
- 1 Orange, sliced
- 1 Lime, sliced
- 1/8 cup peach schnapps
- 1/4 cup Apple Brandy
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1 (750mL) bottle of white wine
- 2 and 1/2 cups Apple Cider
- Ice and frozen cranberries
- A splash of ginger beer (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Add the lime, orange, and peach schnapps to a large pitcher and muddle with a muddler or wooden spoon for no more than a minute.
- Add the brandy and muddle again for 45 seconds. Add in the apples and stir everything together. Add the bottle of white wine and stir once more.
- Pour in the apple cider and stir. Taste the sangria to see if it’s sweet enough for you and add more sweeteners of your choice if you want it sweeter (Peach schnapps, lemon juice, cider, simple syrup, etc).
- Add in the ice and frozen cranberries to chill the drink. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- When serving feel free to top off the glass with mint and ginger beer (optional, but good).
Keywords: Holiday Apple Cider Sangria