Easy Southern style collard greens made with smoked turkey tails!
6–8 smoked turkey tails
5 bunches collard greens
4 and 1/2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, avocado, bacon grease, use whatever you have)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
2 teaspoons crush red pepper
- Rinse the smoked turkey tails and place them in large pot with just enough water to cover the turkey tails. Place the lid on the pot and cook on medium heat until the turkey tails are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the smoked turkey from the pot and using 2 forks, remove the meat from the bone, set aside.
- Add the collard greens, diced onion, smoked turkey meat, and water to the pot. Pour the water in along the sides of the pot.
- Add the oil, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar to the pot and stir everything together, cover the pot and cook the greens on medium hear for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Add in the dry seasonings, mix well and cook for another 30 minutes or until tender and enjoy!
Keywords: Collard greens, how to cook collard greens