I love pasta and I think you are going to love this Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake because it checks every box required for a delicious, easy, and perfect weeknight dinner. It’s hearty and packed with juicy chicken breast, tender pasta, sautéed peppers and spinach, and creamy homemade Alfredo sauce. Believe it or not pasta bakes have become my go-to meals for weeknight dinners. Mainly because I always have the ingredients and it’s super adaptable; you can easily switch out the ingredients and create your own version of this recipe.
So, I call this a pasta bake however we don’t actually bake it, we broil it which is another reason why I love this dish because broiling takes less time. Now let’s talk about the Alfredo really quick! I’ve heard many people say that they don’t like Alfredo because of the texture (too thick) and I agree, I have had thick Alfredo sauce before it turned me off for years. The good news is, this sauce is not thick and because it’s homemade you can really control the texture and thickness by adding more or less heavy cream.
As for veggies, I love sweet peppers and onions in just about anything. For green veggies I added spinach but kale or broccoli would work beautifully in this dish. As I mentioned above, this recipe is adaptable so feel free to load it up with some of your favorites. If you try something different please let me know in the comments, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Lastly, If you’re looking for a more traditional Chicken Alfredo recipe, try this one!
How to make Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente, drain, and set aside. Dice up your peppers and onions and set aside. Season the chicken breast with a blend of your favorite spices and set aside. I use salt, pepper, creole seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and once the oil is hot add in the chicken breast. Cook on both sides until done then remove from the pan and let rest before slicing the chicken into small pieces.
Add the onions and peppers to the same pan and sauté until fragrant and tender. Add in the Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, creole seasoning, salt & pepper, sliced chicken pieces, and cooked pasta. Stir everything together and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Turn the heat to medium low and stir in the heavy cream. Bring the cream to a boil and then stir in the shredded cheese until everything is combined and the cheese is evenly distributed. Add in the spinach, stir, and a let it simmer for 5-7 minutes. Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler.
Pour the Alfredo mixture into a medium sized casserole dish. Top the dish off with the remaining cheese and the bacon crumbles (optional). Broil until the cheese is golden, about 10-15 minutes. Let the pasta bake set for 10 minutes before serving. Top with the fresh parsley & enjoy!
Preparing the chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- Spice blend: salt, pepper, creole seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder
Preparing the pasta
- 2 and 1/2 cups penne pasta
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 4 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Boil the pasta until it’s al dente, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pot on medium heat
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, creole seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Once the oil is hot, cook the chicken breasts on both sides, until they are done and then remove from the pan once thoroughly cooked. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and then slice into small pieces.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pot and cook until fragrant and tender. Add in the Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, creole seasoning, salt & pepper, chicken, and cooked pasta. Stir everything together.
- Turn the heat to medium low, add in the heavy cream, and bring the heavy cream to a low boil and then stir in the cheese. Make sure the cheese is evenly distributed throughout the chicken and pasta. Add the spinach, stir, and let it simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Pour the Alfredo mixture into a medium sized casserole dish. Top the dish off with the remaining shredded cheese and the bacon crumbles. Broil for 10-15 minutes or until the top is nice and golden. Let the pasta bake set for 10 minutes before serving. Top with the fresh parsely & enjoy!
Keywords: Pasta bake, chicken Alfredo pasta bake