Creamy and delicious classic broccoli cheddar soup!
- 1 stick butter, sliced in tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chopped broccoli crowns
- 2 cups shredded carrots/matchsticks
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large heavy bottomed pot on medium heat, add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to the pot. Once the butter is melted add the onions. Saute until the onions are tender.
- Add in the creole seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix into the onions, about 1 minute. Stir occasionally.
- Add the remaining butter and once it has melted add in the flour and whisk to combine, 3-5 minutes. Whisk continuously until the the flour and butter has thickened.
- Slowly add in all of the stock, while still whisking.
- Add in the half and half, still continuously whisking as you pour in the half and half.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Add in the broccoli crowns and matchstick carrots. Cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli reaches your desired tenderness.
- Stir in the cheese and allow the soup to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve with your favorite bread and enjoy!
Keywords: Broccoli cheddar soup recipe