These days I’m learning to not over complicate things, including dinner. Even though I love my long days in the kitchen, I’m starting to lean more toward 30 minute meals during the week because once I sign off from work I’m pretty beat. One of my favorite ways to meal prep is to cook my meat on Sunday evenings and create meals for the next few days around that. So this week, I baked 4 chicken breasts and for lunch this week I will be having these Barbecue Chicken bowls with zesty barbecue dressing.
How to make Barbecue chicken bowls
I recommend using chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs. I chose chicken breast and I baked them covered in aluminum foil for about 30 minutes. They turned out tender and juicy. Chicken thighs will be a lot more flavorful and tender but both are great options. There really aren’t any rules for these bowls; you can add anything you want, so please do not feel limited to the ingredients in this recipe.
To prepare the chicken, use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breast to even the thick parts and to break down any toughness. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and season with salt, pepper, Cozy good spice blend, garlic powder, and creole seasoning. Cover the sheet in aluminum foil and bake on 350°F for 20 minutes. Uncover the chicken and brush your favorite barbecue sauce on the chicken and bake for another 5-10 minutes (covered) and then remove from the oven. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
While the chicken is baking, cook the rice per the instructions on the box. Cook the black beans and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Wash off the veggies and chop the romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and avocado.
To make the dressing, combine the ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, lime juice, olive oil, lime zest and stir everything together. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to plate.
Thinly slice the chicken breast and plate up your bowls. I start with the rice and beans and then plate everything around that. I like to season my tomatoes with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Top with tortilla strips, pour the dressing on, and enjoy!
A quick and easy barbecue chicken bowl loaded with fresh veggies, tender chicken breast, drizzled with a special barbecue dressing.
4 chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Cozy Good spice blend
1 tsp garlic powder
1 and 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
Zesty Barbecue dressing
1 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
Lime juice from 1 lime
Zest from 1 lime
1/4 smoked paprika
Canned black beans
Cherry or medley tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and if needed, cover the chicken with plastic wrap and pound the chicken with a meat tenderizer to even the thick parts and break down any toughness. Season with the dry ingredients, cover the sheet with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the chicken and brush the barbecue sauce on the chicken breasts. Bake for another 10 minutes, covered. When finished, let the chicken rest before slicing.
- To make the dressing: combine the ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, and paprika. Stir well and store in the refrigerator until ready to plate.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the rice by following the instructions on the package for 4 servings. Cook the canned black beans on the stove and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Rinse and chop the romaine lettuce, avocado and tomatoes, and slice the red onion.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast and add more barbecue sauce if desired. Plate your bowl starting with the rice and black beans then continue to build it with the remaining ingredients. Top with tortilla strips and drizzle the dressing on the salad. Enjoy!
Keywords: Barbecue chicken bowl, rice bowl